Spring Term 2019 Curriculum
For the first half of the Spring term we will loosely be basing our learning on the following topics:-
- The Arctic - the children were talking about how cold it was getting at the end of last term so we thought we could explore how weather changes affect human and animal populations whilst discovering that snowy place where Father Christmas lives! We will be looking at how people and animals survive in the Arctic and how the Arctic differs from where we live.
- The children love stories so we will have some time this term looking at the story of Goldilocks and the 3 bears. We will incorporate number work, literary skills and some science concepts into this topic.
- As part of understanding the world we will look at 'people who help us' and particularly the fire and police services. The children have loved dressing up as police during the Autumn term and we do have some families that have parents, aunts or uncles who work in the force so learning more about what the emergency services do will involve some first hand experiences!
At Westborough our children belong to a particular group for our circle times. These groups roughly correspond to the children's ages:-
- The caterpillar group for our 2 year olds.
- The cocoon group for our 3 year olds.
- The butterfly group for our 4 year olds.
In some cases the the age bands are a little bit flexible according to the stage of the child's development.
These environments have been created to give the children a small group to belong to with a teaching input designed to meet their age and stage of development.
Our first topic of the new Autumn term 2018 will be ' All about me'. We will be looking at where we live and the similarities and differences between how we live and how others live. This topic also encompasses looking at our families, our bodies and our pets.
More to be added later!